Summer Internship Events Welcomed Nearly 200 Students
Developing, Retaining Talent with Programming for Northeast Indiana Employers
The ballroom at Parkview’s Mirro Center was full of chatter as more than 200 interns and employers celebrated the culmination of this summer’s internship program on National Intern Day July 25, 2019.
As you walked through the room, you could hear conversations about career paths, job opportunities and quality of life. Interns were discussing their summer internship experiences with each other. Managers from local companies were asking questions about an intern’s future career path with the hopes of attracting these talented interns after they graduate.
The event, National Intern Day: Path to Promotion, welcomed over 110 interns, who learned about the importance of planning their own career trajectory from 3Rivers Federal Credit Union’s Jim Johnson.
The National Intern Day event was the last event in the 2019 Professional Development Series as part of the Northeast Indiana Regional Partnership’s Regional Internship Program for Employers.
Here’s a quick recap of each summer Professional Development event:
- CliftonStrengths Training with Brook Stead of Brook Steed Coaching & Consulting and Amy Hesting of the Northeast Indiana Regional Partnership – Interns learned their top 5 strengths and how to leverage them effectively at work.
- Generational Understanding with Ray Kusisto of Ortho NorthEast and Sonya Snellenberger-Holm of the Northeast Indiana Regional Partnership – Interns explored how to navigate the differences among generations and find a common understanding.
- Etiquette Lunch with Amy Trosper and Cindy Verduce with Indiana Tech – Northeast Indiana interns learned how to successfully navigate an interview or business meeting over a meal.
- Budgeting with Dr. Lonnie Leeper with the University of Saint Francis – Interns discovered how to prioritize their money and develop a budget.
- Path to Promotion with Jim Johnson of 3Rivers Federal Credit Union – Interns learned how to plan and consider their own career trajectory.
In Northeast Indiana and Fort Wayne, we believe that increasing the number and quality of internships and experiential learning opportunities will prepare our students for full-time employment and expand our talent pool for regional employers. That’s why we host the Professional Development Series as part of our Regional Internship Program for Employers.
Over this summer, we hosted nearly 200 interns from 56 universities around the world, representing 44 Northeast Indiana companies through the program. Next year, we hope welcome more interns and companies for another robust summer of professional development, networking and learning.
Here are just a few things Northeast Indiana interns had to say about the program:
- “Hearing from older generations what they liked about younger generations was kind of a breath of fresh air” – Noah Benzing, Intern for the Community Foundation of Dekalb County
- “I was able to take away valuable information on how much budgeting plays a part in our everyday lives” – Brenda Feasby, Community Engagement Intern with the Fort Wayne Tincaps
- “My favorite part of the professional development sessions is seeing the variety of industries that are represented and meeting other interns in the area.” – Ava Kuhn, Marketing Intern for Vera Bradley
The 2019 Regional Internship Professional Development Summer Series was sponsored by the 80/20 Foundation and the Dr. Louis and Anne B. Schneider Foundation.
We look forward to next year’s event. If you’d like to start or implement the Regional Program for Employers at your company or organization, please visit the website to learn more or contact Project Manager Sonya Snellenberger-Holm.
- Lauren Johnson, Regional Initiatives Intern 2019