Update on 2020 Summer Internships
Professional Development Summer Series Continues
The countdown to summer internship is on! We know that the way most of us work changed overnight due to COVID-19, and this might not be the best time to onboard summer interns for some of you.
If you are still planning to host summer interns (in-person or virtually), you are not alone.
Our friends at IndianaINTERN.net issued a survey to employers about their summer internship needs.
Out of 203 responses:
- 73% said that they are still moving forward with their summer internships
- 33% were not making changes to their internship programs
- 40% said they are planning to make some changes
Those changes included but were not limited to:
- changing start and end dates
- changing the internship from an onsite experience to a virtual experience
- lowering hours
- potentially hiring fewer than originally planned
It’s our mission to make sure that all employers have the resources they need to ensure that they can provide high-quality work-based learning experiences whether they are onsite or virtual. That’s why we are committed to moving forward with our Professional Development Summer Series for Interns through the Regional Partnership's Internship Program for Employers!
In 2020, we are hosting five FREE professional development sessions for any regional intern.
The session topics will cover:
- CliftonStrengths for Interns (Strengths Assessment will be included)
- Addressing Your Implicit Bias
- Etiquette for Networking Events
- Financial Literacy: Planning for the Future
- National Intern Day Celebration
We have been working hard to ensure that everyone has access to our Professional Development Summer Series and can connect with our region. We are planning in-person sessions currently, but are prepared to go virtual if needed.
We’ve partnered with OrthoWorx in Kosciusko County to be a second location site for three out of the five sessions. We are also introducing a new portion of our sessions called Lead in With Leaders. Our Lead in With Leaders portion will have regional leaders sharing their stories about their career path, their successes, their failures and provide advice to interns.
Last but not least, we are working on an app-based, summer-long scavenger hunt to help interns connect to our community. Stay tuned for more details about the scavenger hunt!
While we prepare for internship season, be sure to take advantage of the free resources available to you.
3 Internship Resources for Employers during COVID-19
- If you are looking for information or resources on how to move forward with your summer internship program, please reach out to Sonya Snellenberger-Holm.
- The more we know, the better equipped we are to serve you! Please complete IndianaINTERN.net’s short survey about the future of internships. Click here to fill out the survey.
- IndianaINTERN.net is offering a free hour-long internship webinar on Thursday, April 9 at 2 p.m. that will provide employers an opportunity to discuss their plans for hosting interns this summer during the COVID-19 pandemic. Attendees can also learn best practice information for hosting virtual interns. Click here to learn more.
For more information about our Professional Development Series, visit the website and follow our progress from now until August in our newsletter.
Interested in learning how we can help with your organization's internship program? Contact us for informatioon and free resources to start or enhance your internship program.Contact Us