Downtown Fort Wayne
A Vibrant Heart
Welcome to downtown Fort Wayne, in the heart of Northeast Indiana. Here you’ll find that we like to keep things simple, but fun too. Take our downtown adventures, for example. We make it easy to get around—to the ballpark, to dinners afterward, and then maybe to an outdoor concert. On weekend mornings, you can take a quick trip to the farmers market, to a museum, or to a critically acclaimed independent film. Wander a few blocks over to the latest pop-up galleries and be sure to stop in at the block parties along the way.
While exploring the city, you might be surprised to learn that you can go without a car for the day. The abundant sidewalks and bike lanes allow for a short walk or ride from home to downtown. Whether you’re on two feet or two wheels, the city takes on a personal feel as you pass storefronts and parks and say hello to neighbors, friends, and coworkers.
In downtown Fort Wayne, you’ll soon learn that the city quickly becomes your city. A city full of your favorite places to go and full of new stories waiting to be made.
Did You Know?
- Fort Wayne is a three-time All-America City winner and one of the “Best Cities in the Nation,” according to the National League of Cities.
- With a mission to mobilize Fort Wayne’s artistic, cultural, and social capital and create a vibrant urban core, the Fort Wayne Cultural District received its official designation in June 2010. The Cultural District includes 15 historic sites, six museums, six theaters, 11 art galleries, 23 performing-arts spaces, four libraries and archives, eight arts-education facilities, 18 public parks and gardens, and numerous restaurants, stores, and local businesses.
- LivingFortWayne.com chronicles many of the restaurants, events, and living options in the downtown area. From homes and rentals in historic neighborhoods to brand-new city condos with balconies overlooking the TinCaps’ Parkview Field, there’s truly something for everyone.
- Organizations like A Better Fort and Young Leaders of Northeast Indiana (YLNI) are creating ripple effects downtown and across Northeast Indiana. These groups offer great opportunities to get involved with events that range from block parties to continuing education—all with a greater mission of making our city an even better place to live.
- Movies downtown are a chance to break away from your average movie-going experience. Cinema Center offers the independent cinema that’s sweeping Sundance, as well as events that showcase local filmmakers and artists.
- Fort Wayne Outfitters and Bike Depot’s rentals and retail give folks the opportunity to enjoy the downtown with a unique vantage point—from kayak, canoe or paddleboard along our three rivers or on bicycle along the Rivergreenway or in our many bike lanes.
- In addition to dozens of unique restaurants and cafés, downtown is home to Fort Wayne’s burgeoning food-truck and food-cart scene. Keep your eyes peeled for trucks like Bravas Food, offering unique Spanish-style tapas and hot dogs that will change the way you think about food.
Fort Wayne’s vibrant downtown may be the heart of the region, but our regional member counties are offering a unique quality of life too, keeping Northeast Indiana easygoing and laid-back. Ready to make Northeast Indiana home? Contact us to learn more about how you can benefit from life in the region.Contact Us