Bringing Together NEI Business, Industry Leaders in 2022
NEI’s Regional Initiatives Team dedicated significant time and effort in 2022 to engaging with stakeholders to make Northeast Indiana the best region it can be.
In 2022, the Regional Opportunities Council (ROC) was divided into three smaller, focused councils: the Built Environment Council, New Economy and Innovation Council and Workforce Competency and Competitiveness Council. Each council worked on developing ideas and progressing projects that would advance the region and its assets.
In less than nine months, the Councils accomplished the following:
- Completed the Medical Device and Technology Report–in partnership with True North Strategic Advisors, Orthoworx, Kosciusko Economic Development Corporation (KEDCO) and others
- Completed the pre-feasibility study for the Indiana Off-Highway Vehicle Electrification Center (INOVEC), in partnership with PEM Motion, Don Wood Foundation and Terzo Power
- Initiated phase 1 of pre-feasibility for the NEI Automation Integration Center, in partnership with Ford Meter Box, Britton and others
- Initiated phase 1 of pre-feasibility for the NEI Shared Movie and Animation Training and Production Center, in partnership with Huntington University
- Initiated a project to position Northeast Indiana as a region where differently-abled individuals can thrive in all aspects of life, led by Fort Wayne Metals, Turnstone, Easterseals ARC of Northeast Indiana and AWS Foundation
- Initiated a project to engage international immigrants and refugees in the NEI workforce, led by James Khan, Obicai Restaurant Group and others
- Explored new business models for workforce attainable housing and developed the foundations for additional steps to be taken in 2023
- Initiated work on policy changes to update and add tools to increase the region’s ability to change approaches to site development and infrastructure financing, in partnership with the Regional Chamber of Northeast Indiana.
- Initiated phase 1 of infrastructure financing playbook, in partnership with AEP, NIPSCO, Keith Gillenwater of Grow Wabash and Isaac Lee of Steuben County Economic Development Corporation.
It’s obvious that over the course of 2022, Northeast Indiana worked together to drive business investment and build a globally resilient economy. It has been a busy year and many thanks and recognition goes to hundreds of investors and partners for leading NEI toward economic resilience.
To learn more about how to get involved in NEI, reach out to Director of Regional Initiatives Anne Marie Murphy.