Defense & Aerospace
For over a century, Northeast Indiana has been a pivotal player in the nation’s military R&D and production, as the region is home to divisions of some of the world’s largest defense and aerospace contractors.
Our industry leaders at BAE Systems, Raytheon Technologies, Riverside Manufacturing and L3Harris Technologies bring in millions of dollars every year, employ thousands of specialized personnel and develop products that change our world.
Northeast Indiana has a definite “it” factor—a strong workforce, first-rate academic base, robust business climate and excellent infrastructure, as well as enthusiastic support from industry groups, economic developers and political officials.
Top Facts about the Defense and Aerospace Industry in Northeast Indiana
- PWC ranked Indiana No. 6 in the nation for aerospace manufacturing attractiveness.
- According to the Tax Foundation, Indiana was ranked No. 1 as the most competitive state tax climate.
- Since 2013, about 1,800 new aerospace jobs were added to the state’s economy.
- Northeast Indiana Defense Industry Association (NIDIA) works to develop and improve the local defense community’s ability to attract and retain talent to effectively execute business and enhance business success.
Defense and Aerospace Talent
- More than 38,000 engineers call Indiana home—46% higher than the national average.
- The 122nd Fighter Wing in Fort Wayne employs approximately 1,000 individuals and creates over $77 million in annual economic impact.
- The FWCS Career Academy serves Northeast Indiana, including 17 high schools, with a broad array of career and technical programs.
- There are more than 200,000 graduates from Tier 1 and Tier 2 universities within 200 miles of the region.
Download this PDF to learn more about Northeast Indiana's unique support for some of the world's largest defense contractors.Download PDF
Source: Development Counsellors International (DCI), 2021
Source: Emsi 2021
Interested in learning more about Northeast Indiana's Defense and Aerospace industry? Contact us for access to more data and to discuss opportunities and incentives our region offers.Reach Out