Financial aid workshops start
Several northeast Indiana organizations are partnering with the Northeast Indiana Regional Partnership’s Big Goal Collaborative to offer free support to students and families in completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
A workshop will take place today from 4-7 p.m. at Eckhart Public Library, 603 S. Jackson St., Auburn, with more workshops scheduled on the coming weeks at Butler, Waterloo and Garrett..
Filling out the FAFSA, a government form, is a must to qualify for assistance, scholarships and other sources of funding. The deadline to submit the FAFSA is March 10.
At the workshops, trained personnel from K-12 and regional higher education institutions will volunteer their time to help increase the number of students in northeast Indiana completing the FAFSA.
“By offering this free FAFSA assistance support, we are creating a region that supports the educational success of every individual while developing a dependable and reliable workforce to meet the needs of regional employers,” said Wylie Sirk, director of educational leadership at Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne and member of the Big Goal Collaborative’s High School Action Team.
All students and families in northeast Indiana are invited to attend and take advantage of the free assistance offered at various locations throughout the northeast Indiana region.
Dates, times and locations for the free FASFA support are:
- 4-7 p.m. today, Eckhart Public Library, 603 S. Jackson St., Auburn;
- 2-4 p.m., Sunday, Ivy Tech, 3800 N. Anthony Blvd., Fort Wayne;
- 2-4 p.m., Sunday, Eastside Junior-Senior High School, 603 E. Green St., Butler;
- 4-7 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 23, Waterloo-Grant Township Library, 300 S. Wayne St., Waterloo;
- 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Friday, Feb. 24, 3 Rivers Federal Credit Union, 1605 Northland Blvd., Fort Wayne (Spanish translator available);
- 5-8 p.m., Monday, Feb. 27, Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza, Fort Wayne.
- 5-8 p.m., Wednesday, March 1, Renaissance Pointe YMCA, 2323 Bowser Ave., Fort Wayne. • 4-7 p.m., Thursday, March 2, Garrett Public Library, 107 W. Houston St., Garrett. • 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Friday, March 3, 3 Rivers Federal Credit Union, 1605 Northland Blvd., Fort Wayne (Spanish translator available).
- 5-8 p.m., Wednesday, March 8, Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza, Fort Wayne; and
- 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Friday, March 10, 3 Rivers Federal Credit Union, 1605 Northland Blvd., Fort Wayne (Spanish translator available).
Participants should bring: a Federal Student Aid username and password created before arrival; Social Security number; driver’s license number; alien registration number or permanent residence card if not a U.S. citizen; taxable income from 2016 W-2 forms or other records of money earned or received; untaxed income, including workers compensation; child support; housing; food and other living allowances; veterans benefits; 2016 Federal Income Tax Returns (IRS tax form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ); and 2016 bank statements, business and investment information; business and farm records; stocks, bonds; and other investment records.
The Northeast Indiana Regional Partnership’s Big Goal Collaborative is partnering with NIPSCO for the second FAFSA Completion Competition for regional high schools. Three winning high schools each will be given a $1,500 scholarship to award to a graduating senior.
Students and families also can get help completing the FAFSA by going online at fafsa.ed.gov or calling 1-800-433-3243.
The FAFSA assistance flier is available online in English, Spanish or Burmese at neindiana.com/BigGoal.