Fort Wayne hosting Adaptive Sports USA Junior Nationals
By Alex Brown | Inside INDiana Business
Nearly 300 athletes and coaches have descended upon Fort Wayne for the 2018 Adaptive Sports USA Junior Nationals competition, which kicked off Sunday. The competition runs through Friday and will feature athletes participating in eight sports, including track & field, swimming, and powerlifting.
The competition will feature athletes from throughout the United States, including five local athletes. The other sports disciplines included in the event are table tennis, archery, air rifle, and paratriathlon. Fort Wayne-based Turnstone says many of the athletes will be seeking to break national records and are looking toward potentially competing in future Paralympic Games competition.
The event is being hosted in conjunction with the city of Fort Wayne, Visit Fort Wayne, and Turnstone. Mike Mushett, chief executive officer of Turnstone, says his company is proud to collaborate with the nonprofit Adaptive Sports USA to host the 35th iteration of the Junior Nationals.
"Fort Wayne is centrally located and provides easy access from most anywhere in the United States," said Mushett. "When you couple Turnstone’s Plassman Athletic Center with the community’s first class sport venues, hotels and recreational and entertainment options along with Indiana’s famed Hoosier Hospitality, Fort Wayne is committed to hosting a first class event for the expected 300+ athletes along with families and spectators who will visit Fort Wayne."
You can view the full schedule of events in the competition below:
Sunday, July 22
- Paratriathlon Competition: 9:00am-10:30am, Summit Middle School
Monday, July 23
- Swimming (short course) Competition: 8:00am-12:00pm, Summit Middle School
- Archery Competition: 1:00pm-5:00pm, Homestead High School
Tuesday, July 24th
- Swimming (long course) Competition: 8:00am-12:00pm, Helen P. Brown Natatorium
- Shooting Competition: 1:00pm-5:00pm, The X Count Shooting Range
- Welcome Ceremony: 6:00pm-8:00pm, Plassman Athletic Center
Wednesday, July 25th
- Field Competition: 8:00am-12:00pm & 1:30pm-5:30pm, Homestead High School
Thursday, July 26th
- Track Competition: 7:30am-1:00pm, Homestead High School
- Table Tennis Competition: 1:30pm-5:00pm, Plassman Athletic Center
- Powerlifting Competition: 4:00pm-9:00pm, Plassman Athletic Center
Friday, July 27th
- Track Competition: 8:00am-12:00pm, Homestead High School
- Closing Ceremony: 6:30pm-9:30pm, Plassman Athletic Center